Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Shimmy Cast Episode #1

Welcome to the priemere of Shimmy Cast, a podcast for Middle Eastern dancers and fans.

Episode 1 is available for download.

In this cast you'll hear about:

1) The format for this podcast.

2) The Question of the Week?
"How did you get into belly dancing?"

3)News

4)Emails

5)Review of The Art of Belly Dance: A Fun and Fabulous Way to Get Fit by Carolena Nericcio. This review was written by your host Anala Rabari. Note: The reviewer purchased this book at a local bookstore.

6)This week's Podcast-safe music was Opaque(Drum Solo) from the album Ahsas by Solace, which is available at magnatune.com

1 comment:

Nadira said...

I'm a little late replying, but I started dancing because my mother told me to. She used to write dance reviews for an arts paper in Buffalo, where I grew up. When I was in high school, she was sent to review a show by Folkloric Productions. When she came back, the first thing she said to me was "you would be great at this".

My sisters were both very talented ballerinas, but ballet never felt like *dancing* to me; it felt like exercise, like it was more about fighting your body than working with it.

A few years later, I did a summer internship in Newport, RI, and having a lot of time on my hands, I decided to take a dance class. I looked up a teacher (Sabra Jamal) on shira.net, and was hooked after my first class!